Wolfe Island United Church
Photo Credit: Craig Pettis
Our Church History
In 1924, the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches of Wolfe Island formed one body and met for worship in the Methodist Church building. The following year, they became Wolfe Island United Church and the Presbyterian Church Hall was named St. Andrew’s Hall. In 1951, the hall was moved to its present location adjoining the United Church and the land on which the hall was formerly located was sold to the Public School Board and became the site of the new three room pubic school.
In 1971, the old manse was vacated and in 1972 the land on which the former manse was located was severed and the former manse was sold. In 1973, a canvass for monies to build a new manse was undertaken and a new manse was constructed on the corner lot beside the Church. In 1978 the manse began to be rented as our ministers preferred to live in Kingston, so the manse was sold in 2002. In 1992, a new kitchen and wheelchair-accessible bathrooms were added to the hall and the hall itself was made accessible by the addition of a ramp entrance. Eleven stained glass windows, designed and created by a local artist, have been donated by Church members. To see them and learn about the artist, go to the tab Our Stained Glass Windows.
From 1884 until 1973 we were ministered by a series of ordained and student ministers, who work out very well. They served two churches, the one in the village (current location) and the St. Lawrence Church near the East end of the Island. The St. Lawrence Church was hit by lightning in 1957 and burned down as a result. Following the fire, everyone worshiped at the church in the village as they do today. To see the interior of the church, go to the tab Our Church.
The Wolfe Island United Church is the caretaker of two cemeteries on Wolfe Island, one at ‘Point Alexandria United Church Cemetery’ Hwy 95 Point Alexandria and the other ‘Saint Lawrence United Church Cemetery’, 17th Line Road.